Thursday, February 21, 2013

365 Days of Pinterest Day 16 ~ Beach Glass Mason Jars


Beach Glass Mason Jars



wooo hooo day 16 of my 365 Days of Pinterest ... and I bought my first house!  .. umm , okay I know thats off the subject but just had to say ... I'll get back into that in later blog post .. (200 year old Heritage Home DIY all the way!!!!!) ... back to the matter at hand ..

Sea Glass .. I love this pin!  but there was ALOT of tweaking to be done from the original Pinterest Post so lets begin!




WHAT YOU WILL NEED
mason jars (or any glass item you'd like to paint)
Elmers Glue
food coloring




I had some canning jars from pickle making days .. I also peeled back the labels on some jars in my fridge and found many of them to be pretty darn charming 


I soaked my food jars in super hot soapy water for 10 min ... labels peeled of easily



~ use one 1 part glue to 1/2 part water ..  1 tbs glue, 1/2 tbs water ... the amount you use depends on the amount of glass you will be painting
(the original pin called for 1 tsp glue 2 1/2 tsp water .. not gonna work, it was thin and separated on the glass)



add your food color .. I used one drop per color


make sure your glass is dry .. water will cause it to separate


paint away ... 


after letting the jars sit a few min I saw a few little spots were the glue had separated so I painted over them again .. no extra paint, just a dry brush ..




 this is how it will look as its drying, streaky, but dont fret .. the streaks will go away as it dries


my curious cat Monkey.. (once a stray now a prince, my prince ) .. 



wa laaaaa!!


are you kidding me, I never imagined they would turn out so GORGEOUS!


(flowers from my hubby on Valentine day )


                                     










WARNING .... You drop any water on these and they are ca puut!  and there is no way of waterproofing them .. I covered one in a glaze and it changed the look completely .. turned it clear  ..

So no water .. and they are very fragile .. cats knocked mine onto the ground and the glue / paint peeled of .. other then that they are GORGEOUS and so easy to make .. 

Verdict; Fun, Easy, Cheap, Beautiful .. they catch the light and glow so nice!

LOVE :)





1 comment:

  1. Thanks a lot for the tutorial. I really love it. These are really great. And these inspire to make one too. But I hope it would come out as beautiful as these.
    WhiteLightProductions.com

    ReplyDelete